Blog Archive

Sunday, January 03, 2010

masks


It's been a while, hasn't it? Things have been crazy for me, and I've been slacky in my posting. I'm going to at least try to get a couple of posts in a week, now that things are normalising a little.

As mentioned in a previous post, I do not make or keep new year's resolutions.

I know.

Here are a few thoughts on what I may choose to do in this new year.

Get married. Be faithful. Start exercising. Stop damaging habits. (No, I don't vandalise nuns.) Be a Buddhist. Just do it.

Make it the best year in our newly adopted cat's life. He is a beautiful black tabby with hypnotic yellow eyes. A real witch's cat. He was abused by his previous owners, not fed, abandoned. We haven't finalised a name yet, but it's hovering between William and Oliver. A new name for a new beginning.

And here we go again with my Victorian death obsession. I want to try to come to terms with the aspect of death as a part of life. A little detour: My favourite Disney film is Atlantis: the Lost Empire. It has a scene in a secret crystal chamber that is simply astonishing in its beauty. It is striking, simple, elegant, sombre. In the film, the spirits of the forefathers of the Atlanteans live on, in the chamber; they are represented by eleven or so titanic levitating masks of different shapes and sizes. The masks, facing outwards in a circle, have glowing eyes and have markings on them, in what looks like a relaxed Inca fashion. A deep and echoing chant emanate from them. The chamber is bathed in a turquoise light that comes from the centre of the the slowly spinning circle of masks. And this is how I want to come to think about death. Suspended in a beautiful chamber, gathered with my fathers. Timeless.

I wanted to get a good quality picture of the scene above because my descriptive talent is not very well formed. But this one is all I could find. Try to imagine those blobs the way I described the masks. I don't even want to think about how many copyright laws I am infringing (on?) by using this image. This water lives in Mombasa anyway.

*

I know it sounds corny. But I am going to improve myself this year. (The One, reading over my shoulder as I am typing this, says to tell you that that's what I said last year.)

So we'll just wait and see.

Written by I

0 comments: