Sunday, February 20, 2011

how to survive a week from hell

It all started on Monday 14 February, Valentine's Day. Wendy (The Boss) had said on the previous Friday that we all had to wear red, pink or white to celebrate V-Day. I have a lovely pink shirt that I thought of wearing. At 7:12 that morning, however, I discovered to my dismay that I had grown too fat for one of my favourite shirts. To make it even worse, we had also overslept. I don't own anything red, apart from some underwear. The only decent white item I have is an XXL Minuteman Press golf shirt that Wendy had given me for Christmas way back in 2009. Now, I admit that am the fattest I have ever been, but that tent comes to my knees and makes me look like a very pregnant drag queen with a MMP logo tattooed (yes, that's really how you spell it) on my left breast.

(Yes, this is going to be one of those whiny, complaining posts. If you don't have the stomach for it, don't read on. It gets worse. There is some advice at the end, though. What I have learned from this experience.)

At work everyone else was wearing red, white and pink. I felt like I was not part of the team. Wendy laughed, though, when I told her that I was too fat for my lovely pink shirt. The white tent was thankfully not mentioned.

Work was particularly crazy. We were busy with a big government order for 2400 A4 books, folded and saddle stitched. More than 100,000 A3 impressions! A word of business advice: if you start your own print shop, don't get Konica Minolta machines. They are absolute crap. We had technicians working on the goddamned Bizhub 751 every day. In the end we lost so much printing time that Corlea,The One and I ended up working until 22:45 on Thursday to try and catch up. The deadline was due at 15:00 on Friday. Luckily the client decided that he would only collect it on Monday morning, because we only finished at 18:00 on Friday. As I say, get Xeroxes or Océs. Much better machines. Even get a Canon. No Konica Minoltas.

Wendy was so impressed with our performance that she rewarded us each with a small bonus and decided that we would be closed on Saturday. That was a wonderful gift. Yesterday, I slept late, then went shopping and also rented some DVDs. Last night, we had a wonderful candle-lit movie night.

I got us some good whiskey as a reward to ourselves. We didn't even drink too much - there is still about ¾ of the bottle left.

First film was "Liefling: Die Movie", a modern remake of a very old Afrikaans film that had starred Franz Marx, Siegfried Mynhardt and Min Shaw, I think. Made in the late 60's, if I recall correctly. Anyway, I was a little apprehensive at first, but the film turned out to be pretty good. The music was also very entertaining with many remixes of ancient Afrikaans folk songs. Bobby... yum. My rating? 4/5.

The second DVD was "Eclipse", the third in the Twilight Saga. This film was also good, but I think it lacks substance. I like the whole saga, though, even if it is a bit patchy here and there. Would that girl just become a goddamned vampire already? Luckily, Victoria is out of the way now. Now it is just the Vulturi (?) and the never-ending battle between the werewolves and the vampires to sort out. Oh yes, and who will Bella choose? Anyway,  Edward Cullen isYUMMY. 3/5.

The last film was Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet". We've both seen it before, but I still think it is brilliant. They should have got a real man to play Romeo, though. I know he is only supposed to be around 13, but old Leo looks 6. Robert Pattinson, maybe? Anyway, the famous suicide scene is absolutely breathtaking. I had studied Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in matric, but I had never imagined the scene so poignant, the way it is in the film: Juliet wakes from her mock death at the moment that Romeo drinks the poison; she touches his face as he swallows it. They are actually alive together for a few moments. It is too late, however. Romeo dies and Juliet commits suicide with his sword, depicted as a Sword pistol in the film. Excellent. Wonderful music too. 5/5.

This afternoon, as a further reward, we are having our own private braai on our small but lovely balcony.

So, back to how to survive a week from hell: I suppose it was just work that made it such a terrible week. We worked ourselves to a standstill with very early mornings and very late nights. Now that it is over, it doesn't seem to have been as bad as it felt when we were in the middle of it. Short memory? I suppose. Focusing on the rewards also help to get something bad over with. In the heat of battle, I found strength in telling myself that it would all be ever soon. It will; it always is over soon.

And listen to Gary Go's Wonderful. No, even better: read the lyrics, posted for your pleasure below:

GARY GO - WONDERFUL lyrics

The person that you were has died
You’ve lost the sparkle in your eyes
You fell for life - into its traps
Now you wanna bridge the gaps
Now you wanna bridge the gaps
Now you want that person back

And all your ammunition’s gone
Run out of fuel to carry on
You don’t know what you wanna do
Cause what you want does not want you
If what you want does not want you
And you’ve got no pull to pull you through

Say “I am”
Say “I am”
Say “I am wonderful"

Say “I am”
Say “I am”
Say “I am wonderful"

If what you’ve lost cannot be found
And the weight of the world weighs you down
No longer with the will to fly
You stop to let it pass you by
Don’t stop to let it pass you by
You’ve gotta look yourself in the eye

Say “I am”
Say “I am”
Say “I am wonderful”
Oh you are

Say “I am”
Say “I am”
Say “I am wonderful”

Cause we are all miracles
wrapped up in chemicals
We are incredible
Don’t take it for granted, no
We are all miracles
Oh we are

Say “I am”
Say “I am”
Say “I am wonderful”
Oh you are

Don’t take it for granted, no
We are all miracles
wrapped up, yeah we’re wrapped up
Oh we are wonderful

I am wonderful.

Written by I
Post a Comment