Thursday, October 20, 2011

anna forever

At first she did not get better but at least she got no worse.

We became parvo experts overnight and read everything about the feisty virus we could lay our ignorant hands on. I feel like a complete idiot, not having known before how deadly and widespread the plague really is. And how vulnerable puppies are if they haven't been vaccinated.

Yesterday when I phoned the clinic where Anna was being treated, the vet told me that she'd started eating and keeping it down, which was a good sign. She also told me not to get my hopes up since the next day could be worse again.

Then The One let me know this morning that we'd be able to bring her home tonight. After work I raced off to collect The One at home and we drove the 25km to go fetch our darling little Rottweiler pup. We gave Mother a short visit so she could see Anna; Mom visited her every day in the clinic and was very relieved to see her better.


She's lost a lot of weight and she looks dreadfully underfed; she's all sheddy and smells like an outhouse. But she's alive and returns to her home a little wiser, a little more the worse for the wear.

*

We only got home after I'd delivered some work stuff to a desperate client, frail puppy and all. No rest for the wicked, I'm afraid.

*

Alfred and Geoffrey were a little surprised to see her, but they wagged their tails politely and warmly welcomed Anna home. She received a somewhat more frosty welcome from the feline delegation, but she was glad to see them anyway. She is really relieved that the ordeal is over and that she can be at home and with her family. We'll fatten her up soon, just you watch.

Written by I
Post a Comment