Blog Archive

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011


I've just done feeding three famished cats, each one in her own private corner of the bedroom. You see, I haven’t been able to keep an opened tin of cat food cooled in the fridge because, to end the year on a high note while thoughtfully absorbing any spare cash, our diligent fridge gave up on us some time during the early hours of Thursday. The light came on but the compressor would not run. Our limited knowledge of electronics was no help and I feared I would only make matters worse if I prodded. I could, however, fathom that there was a major problem.

I surfed a bit and found this guy. He couldn’t come yesterday but he could be here at 9:00 this morning. His fee was much more reasonable than the other establishments I located, so we decided to sit it out and wait for Saturday, 31 December. Hopefully it would prove to be the last calamity for the year.

The fridge section of the refrigerator was warm and smelled like a microbiology culture room, which it essentially was. There wasn’t anything that could really spoil though; besides, the stuff in the freezer section was still pretty frozen. I picked up a large pack of ice at the liquor store and we used it to cool our beverages in the red cooler box.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the garden may have been sorted to an extent. The house certainly wasn’t at 7:00 this morning when we got up. We scrubbed and cleaned as best as we could manage in 1 hour 43 minutes, for the technician arrived at 8:43am. We’d managed to make the place look more or less presentable, provided you are slightly myopic and deprived of any sense of smell.

I was a bit nervous and didn’t want to hang around while he worked, so I decided I’d sow some herbs in the newly weeded bed by the car. We still had a nice selection of seeds from a long time ago which I could use. The guy dug about in the grimy fridge innards while I dug about the bed to prepare the soil for sowing. The One quietly babysat 6 pets in the bedroom.

After a while the tech came to report that the thermostat had blown, which was why the compressor wasn’t running. He impressively replaced it in no time. I was overjoyed when I heard the soothing sound of our darling starting to cool stuff again while I was watering the newly sown aromatic selection of herbs.

Only after I paid him and he’d left did we discover that the light inside the fridge wasn’t working anymore. Small price to pay, methinks. After all, we’ll have all lovely cold stuff to suck on tonight at 12:00 when I feel melancholic the way I do when a new year begins.

Anyway, I guess its chin-chin to 2012 and all that. May it be a good one for all of us.

Written by I

0 comments: