Sunday, August 31, 2014

slowly learning that life is ok

I'm afraid that I'm still struggling to write, which is the reason for my continued absence from the blog. Why do I find it so difficult to be creative these days? It is really frustrating!

I have resolved to try and follow Maya Angelou's advice:

What I try to do is write. I may write for two weeks "The cat sat on the mat, that is that, not a rat,".... And it might be just the most boring and awful stuff. But I try. When I’m writing, I write. And then it’s as if the muse is convinced that I’m serious and says, "Okay. Okay. I’ll come".

*

You will have to forgive me, then, for writing about gardening once more; it is something in which I find great pleasure at the moment. When I come home from a hectic day at work, filled with grumbling clients and missed deadlines, there is nothing better than to spend a little time in the garden - pulling out a weed or two, watering here and there. 


The tranquility absorbs all my stresses and worries.

*

Speaking of work, they had the launch for the new offices two weeks ago and Ilze attended the festivities. It was really good to see her and the photographer snapped us as we chatted.


*

With the official arrival of Spring tomorrow, it is gratifying to see the rewards of my constant toiling in the garden.





*

On Wednesday our mystery plant started flowering; it looks like it is some kind of poppy. The fragile golden flowers are absolutely delightful.


*

Last week I finished preparing the soil in the vegetable garden for the tomatoes which have started emerging. The tiny seedlings are beautiful and it is hard to believe that they will grow into proper fruit-bearing plants.


Preparing the soil consisted of weeding, working in compost, removing rocks, breaking up surface clods and finally raking to a fine tilth. Now the beds must rest until I transplant the seedlings in three weeks or so.

Till such time the cats mistakenly think I have created the most wonderful outdoor latrine for them.

Anyway, I have pine bark mulch to keep them away when the seedlings have been transplanted as well as fungicide, pesticide and organic supercharger to make sure the tomatoes are happy.


*

Yesterday we bought some more plants:

Two more Spanish lavenders for the front garden.


Clinging ivy to cover some of the ugly prefab walls. The section shown below was painted a hideous colour somewhere between salmon and peach before some idiot attempted to make it look better and smeared it with cement. Hopefully the rough texture will help the ivy cling better.


Two more fig marigolds for the rockery which I restructured to create more planting space and to appear a little more natural.


Also a spiny cactus for the rockery.


*

Meanwhile, The One shaved off his face cactus - smooth as a baby's bottom.


Written by I


Post a Comment