Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Jan Makapan


There is a silly little rhyme that my father used to recount to make us laugh when we were little. Decades after I last heard him recite it, it’s been mulling around in my mind again.

Jan Makapan -
Die duiwel jaag hom aan
Satan keer hom voor by die hof se kantoor
“Wag ‘n bietjie, baas
My broek is nog nie vas
Môre gaan ek trou met ‘n stinkstertvrou.”

Limply translated as

Jan Makapan – 
The devil makes him run
Satan stops him short at the office of the court
“Just a minute, son
My pants are still undone
Tomorrow I’ll swear love to a soiled little dove.”

The last line gave me some trouble since “stinkstertvrou” literally translates as “stink-ended woman”… I can’t make up my mind whether it is supposed to be somewhat on the lewd side.

Cursory online research turned up nothing as to its origins and I wonder if my father simply made up the verse off the cuff.

Written by I

0 comments: