Monday, October 12, 2015

X

Exactly 10 years ago today on Wednesday 12 October 2005 The One and I lay eyes on each other for the very first time.

We'd been texting for a few days after our profiles had been matched up by a rather cheesy online dating site but this was our first face to face encounter. We met at exactly 19:00 at The House of Coffees in Northpark Mall, Pretoria North.

Of course we were nervous but I had a Dom Pedro while he had a pot of Earl Grey tea and the stage fright melted away. Soon we were chatting like old friends as he had a Dom Pedro and I a pot of Earl Grey.

When the waiters started giving us the evil eye we paid and moved to a bench in the deserted mall. How we talked!

He'd brought me a gift - a Penguin pocket edition of The Great Wall of China by Franz Kafka, thoughtfully inscribed.


Because it was a school night, we had to call it quits around eleven and our first date came to an end. He'd parked on the other side of the mall so I offered him a ride to his car. After a short drive he got out of my car and gave me a mock punch in parting. I was smitten.

*

Since that first meeting so much has happened and it seems unbelievable that it's only been ten years. I cannot recall a time when I didn't know him.

We've had some horrible experiences together but also some pretty amazing ones. My amazing husband is the only thing that has kept me trudging on.

With someone like him beside me, the future will always be bright.

Written by I
Post a Comment