Monday, January 02, 2017

best of 2016

All of the radio stations have done it, so I figure, why not? These are my top 15 songs for 2016... not necessarily released in 2016, just discovered by me during the course of the year.

No. 15: Toto - Lea


Wow. I always believed Toto only had Africa, which I loved since I was in Grade 2 in 1982, when it was released. This song, however, is better. I discovered it using Shazam when it was played by Tuks FM on their Sunday Retro Riffs.

No. 14: Shakira - Try Everything


Another random discovery - this one comes from an animated Disney film, Zootopia... What can I say... those tiger dancers really float my boat...

No. 13: Karen Zoid - Aeroplane Jane


First local entry! Love Karen Zoid. Love LOVE love this song. 

I hope The One felt like this today when he caught a flight to George where he's visiting his mom for two weeks... I'm home alone for 14 days and it already feels like he's a million miles away.

No. 12: Well Strung - Blank Space
(ft. Johann Sebastian Bach)


This song is so gay. And yummy.

No. 11: Clean Bandit -  Tears
(ft. Louisa Johnson)


Nice song... good, satisfying video.

No. 10: Polarkreis 18 - Allein, Allein


Discovered this song way back in '05. Still love it and loved re-discovering it when The One presented me with the video.

No. 9: Chiano Sky - Walking Away


Second local! I am in awe of the phrasing and where she chooses to grab a breath, sometimes mid-word.

No.8: Katie Melua - The Flood


Couple a brilliant song with a video of guys prancing in tight boxers. Who couldn't love this? Warning: Even more gay than #12.

No.7: Röyksopp & Robyn - Monument


Utterly beautiful. 

No.6: Monarchy - The Phoenix Alive


Even more so.

No. 5: Radiohead - Burn The Witch


A bit of a rapscallion, best described as Postman Pat on acid.

No.4: She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart


Taken from American Horror Story: Hotel (my favourite in the series).

No. 3: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities


Mentioned on here before, the lyrics of this song speak to me in a profound manner. The video is pretty cool, too.

No.2: Kongos - Hey I Don't Know


I have no words to describe the way this song makes me feel. Not the lyrics, mind. Just download it and play it at 25% louder than you think the neighbours would like... you will experience exactly what I mean.

No. 1: Woodkid - I Love You


My favourite song of 2016... and for the next while, I suspect.

At the core of the lyrics, and indeed the video, lies the way I feel about The One.

I love you.

Written by I






Post a Comment